Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting up to Speed

Blogger intro… I’m a nursing student in the Accelerated BSN program, and am part of what is becoming a great team to the ongoing mission in Las Mercedes, Honduras. As I think about our path to this point, my mind regresses to my path thus far, the whirlwind of how I came to nursing school. This Exploring Medicine course and trip to Honduras seems to be a culmination of what I had hoped for in coming to Duke. It was in Central America where I decided that nursing would be my avenue to serve people, and I chose Duke to prepare me for this goal. I am finally seeing the end of school with graduation a few short months away; returning to Central America is a vivid reminder of my beginning and a perfect way to complete my nursing education at Duke.

As for the group… We are in the thick of preparation for our departure to Tegucigalpa. A few weeks ago we met in Durham for an overnight retreat; we shared dinner an evening of fun and preparations- we slept on a cold hard floor, side by side. The bonding as a team began, and we slowly are stripping away the comforts we are used to; whether physically or mentally or spiritually, we are all preparing to humbly enter a new community and serve their needs as best we are able.
We have class every Tuesday night from 6-8pm. We are all working on our Spanish each week and preparing teaching vignettes for use in country. We are in groups pulling supplies together and fund raising for various community needs.
This past Tuesday, Dr. Baker presented a brief history of Honduras. The discussion ranged from epidemiologic exchanges between Europe, Central America, and Africa to the economic and political transformation which has contributed to the community we will meet in about 6 weeks. Covering history, religion, and many other aspects of Honduran culture prepares us mentally for a place that is distinctly different from our home, it allows us to invest now in how we will provide care differently abroad.

More to come.
Cory, ABSN Student