Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Introducing the team…

Every Tuesday we meet and learn together. In addition to more didactic lessons, we work in small groups to practice Spanish and develop teaching vignettes to promote understanding of common preventable conditions. As we work together, we each bring refreshing and challenging perspectives from our own disciplines and personal experience.
Hopefully, in sharing a bit of our aspirations and personality here, you will find much more than an interdisciplinary team. This week, meet Wendy, Dawn, Jorge, and Brett.

Hola! My name is Wendy Zhang. I am a MS3+ medical student in my second year of research. I was lucky to go on this trip last year and am looking forward to this year's trip to experience some continuity in global healthcare. It would be an understatement to say I had a blast last year on this trip! I was born in China and lived in Mexico for 2.5 of my pre-teen years where I fell in love with the Hispanic culture. Global health has always been an interest of mine and I hope to incorporate what I learn from these experiences into my future practice in medicine.




Hola, its Dawn here. I am the faculty member from the physical therapy school and am really excited about this opportunity to provide services to the people of Honduras. This experience will both help me interact more effectively in my current practice with other cultures and allow me to provide direction for the students that are also participating, so they can connect with patients in a more culturally sensitive manner.Wish me luck in using my Spanish, this two month crash course has challenged me.

Hola, mi nombre es Jorge! I am a third year medical student at the Duke SOM and was born and raised in Cuba. One of my main career interests is working with underrepresented populations. The main reason I’m interested in participating in the trip to Honduras is because as a doctor, I envision myself working part-time in South America. This trip will serve as an opportunity to build and cultivate these interests! In my spare time I enjoy long walks by the beach, candle-lit dinners, and long naps!



Hola! My name is Brett. I am a Physical Therapy student at Duke and have been interested in Latin American culture since my first Spanish class in high school. I am very excited about my first trip to central America.