Wednesday, March 23, 2011

...the team continued

Meet Dennis... I am fortunate enough to be able to travel with all these young energetic and idealistic students to stay with a wonderful group of people who live in the mountains of Honduras who are poor in material wealth but rich in personal and community wealth. It is a wonderful opportunity to be able for both groups (the students and the locals) to share what is important to themselves and help each other understand what in life is important. As a professor of Pediatrics and Global Health I am delighted to be able to share my knowledge and experience to help both groups better understand that we are all one people and our problems are similar - just on a different scale. Except for money and the opportunity for education the people in the mountains are just like us. May we both learn from this, and help the world to be both more inter-related and emotionally and physically healthier.



Hola! My name is Jamie, I am in my last year of the cardiovascular Adult Nurse Practitioner program. I currently work as an RN on a cardiothoracic unit. Since the beginning of my nursing career I've had an ambition to travel to places that have greater health disparities and challanges than we'll ever know. Hopefully this will be the first of many trips. I've enjoyed the class preparation of learning Spanish and about the culture of Honduras. I am very excited to be able to participate in this trip with such a great group of people. I know the people of Honduras will provided me with a life changing experience, which is way more than I will be able to provide them.



Hola! Me llamo es Stephanie. I am in my last semester at the school of nursing. I am so excited at the opportunity to go to beautiful Honduras and be a part of this ongoing interdisciplinary relationship with the people of Las Mercedes. One of the primary reasons why I chose Duke for my nursing education is for this opportunity to participate in Global health endeavors. I truly hope to spend my life working in under-served global communities like this one.







Hola! My name is Jennifer. I am in the family nurse practitioner program. I currently work as a registered nurse on a neurology unit. In the future I hope to work in infectious disease and HIV. I hope I will be able to go abroad and do this work. I am really looking forward to going to Honduras to provide health care and education. I think this expereince and studying Spanish will be extremely beneficial!










Hola! My name is Janhavi and I am a third year medical student. As a kid, my family moved from 6 different countries and I attended 10 different schools growing up. I have tried to travel as an "adult" independently, but I have always avoided Latin America due to my poor Spanish speaking skills. I hope that this trip will help form a basic foundation for Spanish and that I can experience the unique problems in a small part of Honduras. I am so excited to be going with such an awesome group!!!








Hi! I am Christiane London and am very excited about going to Honduras! I am looking forward to improving the language and cultural communications with the people from Central America and hope to use that in practice, both as a nurse and nurse practitioner. ¡Hasta Luego!





Hola! Mi nombre es Colleen. I am a second year Physical Therapy student, and I am incredibly excited about this opportunity to serve the Hondurans! I have always had an interest in global health and I am eager to learn first hand how the practice of physical therapy can play into that. Hopefully, this will be a beginning to a lifetime challenge of international medical service!














My name is Josh. I am an accelerated BSN student at Duke University School of Nursing. I am excited to be participating in this cultural immersion experience because I believe that there is a great deal to learn and experience in other countries, and a vast number of people that need help. As a student, I have much to learn and look forward to working with and learning from others who share similar interests in international healthcare.








Buenas, yo me llamo Rey. I am one of the veterans of this trip. I have been involved in the Honduras course and trip since the inception in 1995 and prior to this with the Duke Chapel Mission Group from 1992 to 1998. I am a "Physician Assistant" which retired from the US. Navy in 1992 after 24 years in service. From that date I worked at Duke Orphopaedic/Plastic Surgery until 2008. Now I am working at the State Hospital in Butner,NC. Our groups have been involved with Heifer International and I support them on there efforts to help the people in Honduras. Hasta luego.









Hola! Me llamo Donna! I'm a third year medical student from Northern Virginia. I know this trip will be life-changing! Since the beginning of medical school, I've aspired to work in underserved communities. I can only hope that I give back a fraction of what I know I'll gain from serving this amazing community. There is so much to learn from treating people with different backgrounds and cultures. The class we have been taking has built my anticipation since January, and I am looking forward to practicing my rusty-Spanish speaking skills. It will be an honor to be immersed in their culture helping out as much as possible!